Every website should have a mission statement, and my website is no exception. To get started I used a template from the WordPress getting start guide, and because I am a big fan of lists, I’ve created a set of numbered fill-in-the-blank questions from it:
- This website will be dedicated to X, Y, and Z,
- and cover the topics of A, B, and C.
- The audience will be ______ _______ _______.
- I will be adding posts every ______ about ______ _______.
- I am doing this because ______ _______ _______.
So I’ll answer them one at a time and try to explain each of my answers.
- This website is dedicated to me, myself, and I,
It sounds funny, but no joke. This is my personal website to build my personal brand. So what, you might ask, is a personal brand?
Personal Branding is a way of clarifying and communicating what makes you different and special – and using those qualities to guide your career or business decisions. It’s about understanding your unique attributes – your strengths, values, and passions – and using them to separate yourself from your competitors or peers. In this sense, personal branding means clearly communicating the unique promise of value that you have to offer your employer or your clients.
William Arruda, Personal Branding Guru
I think this website will help me identify and communicate the unique promise of value that I have to offer.
- and cover the topics of Real Estate, Internet Marketing, and My Life.
I am a real estate broker and own a real estate brokerage. I have developed multiple top-ranked websites and have nearly a decade of experience in information technology. I figure “my life” covers just about everything else I could write about.
- The audience will be clients, peers, friends and family.
I decided to go with open-ended answers for this one because I honestly don’t know who will end up reading this. This could become a professional blog that occasionally gets personal, or a personal blog that is very professional. Only time will tell.
- I will be adding posts every week about the local real estate market, how to market online, and all the cool things I do.
I think this is pretty self-explanatory. I hope to write a lot more than once a week, but a weekly commitment seems like a good place to start.
- I am doing this because I have a need for self-expression and to have a public personae.
Putting it all together, here’s my edited mission statement.
This website is dedicated to myself and will cover the topics of Real Estate, Internet Marketing, and My Life. The audience will be clients, peers, friends and family. I will be adding posts every week about the local real estate market, how to market online, and interesting things I do like playing a Halloween Ultimate Frisbee tournament dressed in an ’80s tuxedo. I am doing this because I have a need for self-expression and to have a public personae.